DO YOU QUALIFY?
Parents do not have to pay for school lunches if they receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Children who receive any of the qualifying benefits listed above in their own right are also eligible to receive free school meals.
The scheme to give free school meals to all pupils in Reception class, Year 1 and Year 2 may make you believe that you do not have to apply for Free School Meals. However, if you are entitled, even though you do not pay for meals, please apply as the school will receive extra funding to support your child. As our budget has reduced significantly, every penny we can apply for will help to ensure we can retain all teachers and teaching assistants; continue music lessons and invite outside agencies in; support pupils with speech and language difficulties and continue to improve the facilities for your children.
In the next few weeks I will be asking Office staff to contact all parents in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 classes to ensure you understand the scheme and how it helps school budgets.